Last week, our fifth graders went to Bay Beach Amusement Park. What a great way to learn about science and have fun in the process. When they are at the amusement park we give them a mini scavenger hunt to look for rides that use simple machines. The Zippin Pippen uses wheels and axles, pulley systems and an inclined plane...
1. You must use the scientific process
- Question: How will you create a Amusement Park Prototype
- Research: Which supplies will work out best to create your ride?
- Predict: Predict what will make your ride work safely.
- Experiment: Experiment and build your prototype.
- Conclude: Did it work? What modifications did you have to make? What problems did you face? Did you problem solve and work as a team? Use reflection sheet to help the process.
- Report: Share and report out how your ride works.
We set out at our STEM store simple materials:
- toilet and paper towel tubes
- pipe cleaners
- cardboard pieces
- egg cartons
- materials that students ask for as they build
Here are some of their rides...